Your mission, is to find out more about butter and to make your own!
Go to the Scientific America: Bring Science Home - Scrumptious Science - Shaking Up Butter for the full list of materials
Science Buddies please help gather materials, set up the experiment, and practice safe science!
Things to Do
- Follow the well written directions on the Shaking Up Butter Website. You can also use the procedures at the Science Buddies Website instead.
- For more background information about butter and what it is, please go to the Science Buddies Background.
Things to Record (Write and Draw)
Please remember to make a Mission Report to keep track of your experiments.
Scientists keep a written and drawn record of what they do.
Write down and draw what you did, what happened, and what you discovered.
What color is the cream? What color is the butter?
- How long does it take to shake and make butter?
- How much cream did you start with? How much butter did you end up with?
- How does the butter taste? How does buttermilk (the liquid left over) taste?
- You can eat the butter with toast. Make sure to keep it refrigerated so it does not go bad.
- The buttermilk can be poured down the drain or used in a recipe.