The balance beam is an event in the Olympics. Try an experiment to check your balance.
- Stand on both feet in the middle of the room.
- Try to balance for 30 seconds.
- Pickup one foot and stand like a crane. Do not use anything to help you balance. Can you balance this way for 30 seconds?
- Try the other foot. Can you balance just as well on your right foot as on your left foot
- Keeping both feet on the floor. Just like you started with above. Close both eyes and try to balance for 30 seconds. Compare the difficulty of the two tasks. Was it easier or hard to keep your balance with your eyes closed?
- Try it standing on only one leg with your eyes closed! What did you learn about your balance?
- Make your own balance beam out of a measuring stick or some tape on the floor. Can you walk along that line and keep your balance? Try it! How many times do you have to practice to get it just right? Does it matter how fast you move across the beam?